I CAN’T HELP feeling like the InstaWrimo team ran out of prompt ideas toward the end of this challenge. The last couple of prompts have not given us much to sink our fangs into, if you ask me.
Nevertheless, we’re here and we’ll make do, so without further ado let’s jump straight into the penultimate prompt:
– Fun author photo.
Yeah, that’s a hard no from me. For two reasons:
- I’m not an author. Yet. I don’t have a problem with other people calling themselves authors (it’s not a licensure after all), but for me personally it would feel wrong to call myself an author when I don’t have a published book to my name. I write, therefore I am a writer. That’s a big enough statement in itself to wake up my impostor syndrome.
- I don’t do fun pics. I don’t really do pics full stop. It was something that I carried with me from my first year in school, and even though I’ve tried to work on my camera aversion, it’s still deeply rooted in me. There are very few photos of me, but this particular one is a fun photo because of how, where and when it was taken. 
Well, I guess I can tell you that story. I won a makeover session with a professional photoshoot for being interviewed at an exhibition I attended. When they called me to let me know, my immediate reaction was to say thanks, but no thanks. I suggested they’d give it to someone else. They said nuh-uh no can do, so I asked if I could give it to my daughters. After some negotiation, they agreed and I ended up spending a day with my girls in a studio in London.
We were plied with bubbles, had make-up artists and hair specialists priming us and got to move in front of a professional photographer in a number of different outfits. I’m rarely uncomfortable in my own skin, but that was so far outside of my comfort zone it was exhausting. And what did my girls think? They loved it!
Me, I love having a whole folder full of amazing pics of my beautiful daughters and I wish I could have brought my sons too. They would never have agreed to go, but at least I have some fabulous graduation pictures of them all. And that is special too.
Right, my friend, that’s it for today. But before I go::
– How’s your relationship with cameras?
Let’s talk in the comments below or send me a message via socials. Also, remember to post the links in the comments below if you use any of my prompts in your own posts. I’d love to come over and see them.
Hope you’re having a good day. I see you, and I appreciate your visit.
© Evalena Styf, 2021
Writing prompt from #NaNoWriMo Preptober InstaWrimo Challenge: 29 October, 2021. “Fun author photo”
The #InstaWrimo is a photo challenge for Instagram, but it works just as well as a daily writing prompt.
- The photo of me against the panelled wall backdrop is from my personal blog. I decided to go on a blogging adventure in 2019, before we knew a pandemic would hit us, and all my (themed) blogs are built around an imaginary pirate ship called the M/S Resilience. This blog, As We Write, is a pandemic panic room below deck on the Resilience. #writersmind
- Here are the daily writing prompts for NaNoWriMo’s preptober challenge. It’s never too late to start, so let’s get into it. Together.